Thursday, March 23, 2006

caught the sunlight


ah, i know i'm being overly optimistic, but spring is almost here. what a feeling with that sunshine on my face, music in my ears, spring in my step, sitting frontseat atop a number 243 red double-decker!
When i was moving to london a few years ago, i wasnt super excited about it, but i remember reading a discussion about people visiting london on a mailing list i was on, and one guy was saying how his favorite part about london was sitting upstairs on the front seat of a doubledecker, feet up, looking out the large windows all around. I totally agree with whoever said that, definitely one of the highlights.
This morning the sun was streaming through the windows and the heat on my face felt so warm and lovely and the music in my ears (The Lucksmitsh - A Little Distraction) was the perfect accompaniment, and zooming through traffic, the way london bus drivers do, the upstairs sways a lot, which with a little imagination, you can imagine yourself on a sea-vessel, sailing the streets of London.

Hmm, sea-vessel, reminds me of my favorite ever journey to work..

While I was living over in San Francisco, i had a job at one point in Sausalito, which is just north of San Francisco, with the quickest way between the two being a ferry from the piers. I was only in the job six months, from spring through autumn, so the weather was always excellent. I'd cycle the 10 minute ride to the ferry stop, just enough excercise to wake up, pick up a coffee and a bagel en route. The ferry wasnt a particularily well funded one, the facilities and staff reminded me a little of British Rail before it was privatised. The ferry ride was 30 minutes, passing out in the bay past alcatraz, usually starting out in fog around san francisco, which would gradually lift as you got closer to sausalito, quite often with dolphins visable in the water around you. I'd stand up on deck, enjoying the feel of the spray against my face, drinking in the beautiful sunlight and the sway of the vessel. Evenings coming home could be even better, a glass of wine or beer in hand from the onboard bar, sun setting on the horizon, cutie tourist girls. ah, good times!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home