Sunday, November 13, 2005

dedications to flea



I was mooching around the house on saturday afternoon, cold outside, but lovely sunlight coming through the windows. I had already wasted a few hours on emails, working in Ableton Live, recording some guitar on the mini-disk, read some of my book, smoked far too much, and still had a few hours to kill before Lisa called to meet me downtown.

I noticed the new Windy And Carl double album sitting over in my wife's area, she always has a lot of promos from Southern. I had just read a really nice review of it over at Textura.org. The new album is called The Dream House, however what had caught my attention in the review, was the fact that an earlier piece from June of this year, a limited run of 500 copies which had sold out, had been repressed and was also packaged in with this new Dream House album. This earlier CD was a tribute to a dog of theirs that had died recently, and was called Dedications To Flea. Together, both albums are simply beautifully crafted hazy drones, gently evolving in a slow hypnotic and organic way.

I put on Dedications To Flea, cranked the volume up to a room filling volume, not too loud, but loud enough to easily hear details and get lost in it. I lay back on the couch, a fresh *cough* cigarette in hand, and let myself drift, feeling the sun on my face, listening to the winding guitars and sustained feedback slowly filter through the field recordings of Flea being taken for a walk, panting back and forth, claws clicking on the sidewalk, the melodic patterns and sound of wind on the microphone slowly carrying me away to that place halfway between consciousness and dreams.

I love those hours when you can drift off like that, lost in music. A highly recommended double album.

More info at: http://www.brainwashed.com/wc/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home